Transitioning to Filmmaking Day 12: Editing a Fight Scene Final Project
This is my third and final journal entry for this 3 part series about my experience editing a fight scene in my class at UCLA Extension, Intro to Premiere.
In part 1, Editing a Fight Scene Part 1, I go over all about the project details, how I organized my footage and the research I put into watching fight scenes to get acquainted with fight scene editing styles. In part 2, Stringouts and Pancake Editing, I got deep into how I created my stringout sequences and how I used pancake editing to streamline my editing workflow.
In today's journal entry, I want to show you my assembly sequences, how I organized them and the final edit.
Once everything was organized, I started editing. I ended up with 5 sequences. Four of them were my "assembly" sequences. The 5th one was the "Final Cut".
Assembly - 01 - Fight
In this assembly, I just cut the fight. Nothing else. I didn't care about the audio. It was all about how the fight felt visually. Did it have good pacing? Did it have enough energy? Did it build up to the climax shot?
And here is the Assembly 01 - Fight video.
Assembly - 02 - Prep + Fight
In this assembly, I added the "prep" scene where she gets ready loading up with her weapons. I needed the last scene of her getting ready to transition into the fight scene. So I actually started with the last shot of her getting ready and worked my way backwards from there for the prep scene.
And here is the Assembly 02 - Prep + Fight video.
Assembly - 03 - Planning + Prep + Fight
In this assembly, I added the "planning" scene, where they actually have the dialog about the attack. Again, in this sequence, I needed the last shot of the planning phase to transition into the "prep" scene, so I started with that shot and worked my way backwards.
And here is the Assembly 03 - Planning + Prep + Fight video.
Assembly - 04 - Sound Design
In this assembly, I added all the sound effects, added music, cleaned up the dialog audio by running it through AI (via Adobe Podcast), added reverb and other SFX to make it feel real.
And here is the Assembly 04 - Sound Design video.
Assembly - Final Cut
In this assembly, I added a "head build", which was a requirement for the project. The head build included Bars and Tones for 1 minute, 10 seconds of black, 10 seconds of slate, an 8 second countdown with a 2 pop and picture start at 1:00:00:00.
That's it. That's my project. I'm pretty happy with it. I really enjoyed the entire process, but I found sound design to be the most enjoyable part, which surprised me.
Other things I worked on
Started learning DaVinci Resolve 18 through The Colorist Guide to DaVinci Resolve 18 book.
Color corrected some footage for a client using Resolve (will post a future journal entry on this).
Played with the new DaVinci Resolve 18.6 Camera to Cloud workflows (will also post a future journal entry on this).
Until the next entry!